Fair Housing and Seniors
The Fair Housing Institute
Senior housing presents unique challenges to the fair housing community. We want our senior residents to be treated fairly and cared for properly. To do this requires the right training to learn how fair housing laws affect your policies and procedures. The Fair Housing Institute has carefully created the right training that has a proven track record of helping you and your staff ensure you follow the best practices and avoid costly and time-consuming fair housing complaints.
Some of the topics covered:
- Housing discrimination
- Applicant screening/admissions
- Reasonable accommodations/modifications
- Transfer policies
- Scooter policies
- Failing health
- Death of a tenant
Online Senior Housing Training
In this supplemental training course, we cover the unique fair housing challenges faced in the senior housing industry such as transfers, scooters, failing health, end-of-life issues, and much more. This includes any community that houses only seniors or where the majority of the residents are seniors. If you work in the senior housing industry, you can’t afford to miss this course!
- Available Languages – English
- Course Time: 30 minutes
- 10 Question Certification Exam
- Certificate of Completion
● Senior housing definition and what it includes
● Basic principles of the Fair Housing Act
● Federally protected categories
● Advertisements and marketing
● Age policies
● Tenancy requirements
● Inquiring on prospect health issues
● Illegal steering
● “Independent living” and outside assistance
● Third-party verification
● Costs involved and who pays
● Falls under reasonable accommodation
● Needs vs. wants
● Who pays and what should be included in the cost of transfer?
● Safety rules
○ How to enforce
○ Which rules are acceptable and which could violate fair housing rules
● Tenant confidentiality
● Reaching out to third parties for assistance
● Providing releases to sign upon move-in
○ What the releases should include
● Who makes decisions about the condition of the tenant’s abilities?
● Issuing lease violations
Death of a tenant
● Addressing the issue upon move-in
● Using forms to make desires clear
● How to proceed if the tenant refuses to identify a third party
● How often to review the instructions
©This course and its outline are owned by The Fair Housing Institute, Inc. and cannot
be reproduced or used in any manner without the express consent of its owner.
Complimentary Housing Education
In this episode, we talk about fair housing and senior living and moving beyond the basics. This episode covers the Top 5 unique fair housing challenges that we find in senior living. It also includes a brief court case summary and how it relates to a senior housing property management company.